Burien Washington

Go To Search
The City Attorney
Cynthia Schaff

Ph: (206) 248-5531
Fx: (206) 248-5539

8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Monday - Friday
  • Provides legal advice and representation to the City Council, City Manager and City departments;
  • Drafts city ordinances (laws) and resolutions for Council consideration;
  • Prosecutes violations of local ordinances in King County District Court;
  • Serves as risk management for the City of Burien.

To obtain a Claim for Damages form, please contact the City Attorney’s office at (206) 248-5531. If you desire to submit a claim to the City for review, please submit completed forms directly to the City Clerk.

The City of Burien adjudicates civil and criminal matters occurring within the City of Burien through an interlocal agreement with King County District Court – South Division. For information about anti-harassment orders, scheduled hearings, cases, probation, fees and fines, please call (206) 205-9200.

If you wish to request discovery for a traffic infraction which occurred within the City of Burien, a written discovery request shall be filed with the King County District Court at the Burien Courthouse and shall be served on the Office of the Burien City Prosecutor.  The City Prosecutor accepts service at the following address:
The Walls Law Firm
16300 Christensen Road, Suite 360
Tukwila, WA  98188

The City Attorney’s Office is prohibited from providing legal advice to citizens. Individuals needing legal assistance must retain private counsel. The King County Bar Association Referral Service can be reached at (206) 623-2551.

Small Claims Court
Small Claims Court, which exclusively handles recovery of money from any individual, business, partnership, or corporation (with a couple of exceptions), is the responsibility of King County District Court. The State of Washington may not be sued in Small Claims Court.
For more information on Small Claims Court, please contact the South Division of King County District Court at (206) 205-9200 or on the web at King County District Court.

King County Superior Court
King County Superior Court is responsible for civil matters involving more than $300 and unlawful detainer and injunctions, felony criminal cases, family law (including dissolutions, child support, adoptions, parentage, and domestic-violence protection matters), probate, juvenile offender cases (including abused and neglected children, children in need of services, at-risk youth, and truancies), mental illness, and involuntary commitment matters.

For more information on King County Superior Court contact the Clerk of the Court at
(206) 296-9300 or on the web at King County Superior Court.

Passport Information
Passport applications can be placed at King County District Court-South Division or at the US State Department’s Seattle Passport Agency.

For more information see Passports.

400 SW 152nd St, Suite 300  /  Burien, WA 98166  /  Ph: (206) 241-4647  /  Fax: (206) 248-5539
Home  /  Contact Us  /  Sitemap  /  Translate Spanish  /  Accessibility  /  Copyright  /  Powered by CivicPlus
City Hall Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm